tires

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tires
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:43:04 -0500
I just went outside and measured my tires.  I have Kuhmo autocross tires,
205-55-14, with 7 1/2 inch tread width and 22 inch diameter.  My wheels are
5.5 inches wide.  I very carefully folded the inner lip of the wheel well so
the tire wouldn't rub.

When I was running stock rims and stock wheel wells I had 185-70-14 tires
and no rubbing.

My race car came with 10 inch wide racing slicks and 6 inch flared fenders,
with no rubbing.

How fast do you want to go, and how many G's do you want to pull while
cornering?  The 185-70 tire will give you the best performance for the
money, if you're on a tight budget.  Or you can buy a set of old steel Z
rims (5.5-14), "bump" out your wheel wells and run 195-60-14 autocross tires
for a considerable gain in performance at a modest price. (Tires last less
than10,000 miles, but are street legal)

I am going to the SCCA National Autocross this September.  At least one
other Roadster is going to be in my class, and I think the Harvey brothers
from Florida are bringing their Roadster to compete in another class (I
hope).  I just put in my limited slip and rear sway bar, so maybe I won't
embarrass myself by being bog slow.  If about 50 really slow Honda drivers
show up to run in my class they may give out enough trophies that I get one.
I expect two or three really fast Honda CRX's, an RX7 or two, and maybe a
couple of Miatas to be my competition. (Along with the other really fast
Roadster)  If you want to come watch, we'll be in Topeka, Kansas Sept 12-15.
Bring a lawn chair and some sunscreen.

Leisure Suit Terry