Re: 5.60 - 14 tires

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5.60 - 14 tires
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:29:19 -0700
In my experience a 185/70-14 will have marginal clearance both front and rear,
depending on the
shape of the shoulder. The contact point in the rear is the sidewall to the
outer fender (actually
the outer portion of the inner fender, if you know what I mean). The contact
point in the front is
the outer shoulder of the tire to the lower lip of the fender flare when
turning. I had one brand of
185/70-14 that was a snug fit but cleared, another brand that didn't fit. These
were both on 6" rims
with 3/8" offset. Comp suspension, too - important point.

Currently I'm running 195/60-14's on the same 6" rims and have no clearance
problems.

For a " sorta stock look" on a roadster while retaining some tire selection in
modern designs, go to
http:www.tirerack.com and do a search on 175/70-14. 15 choices ranging from
$40-70. 185/70 gives 54
choices, but I still think 185/70 is too wide for a 4.5" rim.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org