Re: 66 Datsun 1600

To: "Gerardo Magana" <gmagana@softcom.net>
Subject: Re: 66 Datsun 1600
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:08:10 -0400
Gerardo,

I had my 66 bead blasted. Rather than use sand they use a special type of
bead which takes the paint off but leaves the metal completely undamaged.
They can either take off the bondo or leave it on, it's up to you. The only
paint they couldn't get off was the primer from my NOS hood. Go figure!

The guy who did mine came in a big ass truck and put up a tent to do the car
in a friends parking lot where my car was being dismantled. However you can
usually bring it to their shop and have it done there as you need a lot of
room for the tent. After blasting they sucked up all the beads w/a giant
vacuum cleaner.

It really was great as it didn't warp any panels and saved mucho time and
money if you were to have a body shop do the work. And you don't have to
worry about nasty chemicals getting on you or your driveway if you were to
do it. It also leaves a nice finish on the metal but the car has to be
painted almost immediately with a primer so it doesn't start to rust.

The company that did mine was a part of "Dry Stripping Facilities Network."
You should see if they have a place where you are.

Mike

BTW, it won't remove rust and you can leave the car on the frame, I just
happened to have mine off when they came. Yeah sure.