Re: It runs, It Runs again!!!!

To: bwessel@itis.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It runs, It Runs again!!!!
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 99 11:47:18 CDT
>Tighten those valve cover nut no more than you have too. I use a hand
>wrench and just snug it up, maybe 20-30 ft-lbs. Last thing you want to do
>is crack the aluminum. (I've seen a few to know)

OH NO MR. BILL  (for those too young, it was a character on OLD Saturday
                 night live, in the days of the 'land shark' routines)

ON A 2000:

I'd 'snug' the top two bolts to no more than 5 ft-lbs.  Those nuts
are huge, and the mental thought of Daniel getting a torque wrench
up to 30 ft-lbs and heaving a "CRACK!" is too much.

I think Ross taught me the trick of putting a thick piece of twine into
the grove to help seal the valve cover to the head. On the 2000 roadsters
the rubber gasket has a grove than snaps up around the valve cover.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S> On a 1600 valve cover, still use caution when tighening those two
top bolts. Maybe 10 ft-lbs of toque.