I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:37:19 -0700
Hello All,
        Yes another chapter in my saga of trying to put in my new non-smog
dist.  Okay I 'think' I have it in correctly with the correct number one
cylinder
and the rotor pointing in the correct direction. Here is my problem.  I can not
advance the timing enough???  At idle and the dist. advanced as far as it will
go I am just at 0 deg.  This is with the octane selector set to 10 advanced and
the dist body rotated all the way.  When I rev it to 4000rpm my fancy sears
advance checking timing light says that I am only about 16 deg advanced??
With the advance set as far as it will go 0 deg. The car starts right up and
idles fine.
        Just to make sure that I am not a total moron this is how I am checking
the timing.  On the block there is a 'pointer'  A round tube that has
been crimped flat and the crimped end is the 'pointer'. On the crank pully
there
are a series of marks(like little cuts taken out of the edge).  WIth the
biggest mark being 0 deg and each smaller
mark after being an additional 5 deg advanced.
WIth the engine idleing at around 700 rpm the biggest mark lines up with the
pointer when the timing is advanced all the way. I am assuming that this means
that I am at 0 deg BTDC.
        So, what the heck is wrong??  Did I get the dist. in almost right but
some how managed to slip it in in a slightly retarded position??
        What the heck else could it be??
I think Fred katz noticed, at Shasta that my timing seemed to be really
advanced.  I think he made a comment about the octane pointer being at
10 deg. advanced.. But to tell you the truth I have never checked the timing
with a light till today.  Car seemed to run fine enough.  So maybe this is not
a new problem??
        Someone anyone set me straight!!  Help me before I roll a hand grenade
under the car to collect the insurance money...
        Thanks,

                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA
                415-752-3291 (incase someone wants to clue me in
over the phone)