Re: dist. install help

To: "Dan Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dist. install help
From: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:40:35 -0700
Dan,
        The first thing you must do before you do any thing is set your no.
1 cylinder on top dead center.
                     this is where most alley mechanics miss out, and then
need to start changing wires to match the misaligned crank to distributor.

 first: pull all the plugs out of the car.  then put your finger over the
no. 1 spark plug hole, trying to keep the air from escaping while you turn
the crankshaft in the direction of rotation.  When the air begins to escape,
then you know your piston is coming up for the compression stroke.  ( this
being a four stroke engine, the piston will come to the top twice, but only
one is the compression stroke, the other is the exhaust stroke) put a small
screwdriver in the no. 1 spark plug hole while you move ( by hand) the
piston up toward the top.  you will feel the piston touch the screewdriver,
continue up till you feel the piston has stopped moving up, going any
further will start the piston going down.  When you have reached the top of
the stroke, look at your timing marks located at the front of the engine,
there is a mark on the front crankshaft pulley usually a groove in the
pulley, and an external timing mark guide that it should line up
ith.(( tip::  spray the mark( on the pulley )with brake cleaner or suitable
cleaner wipe clean all the grease, then mark the groove with white paint,
makes it easier to see the mark when the engine is running to time.))
                                Then the distributor::  when you pull your
old distributor out, note in which direction the the roter is pointing, and
in which direction the roter turns when you pull it out.  at the point of
exit is the place you must point your new distributor roter when you drop it
in.  because there is a tapered slot on the bottom of the distributor, that
fits into a slot down in the engine which is your oil pump.  when you are
sure that you have dropped the distributor into the slot, put your
distributor hold down screw in. then put your distributor cap on, noting
which direction that it is pointing, and that is the no.1 spark plug wire.
the rotation of the distributor is counterclockwise, and the firing order
is:  1 - 3 - 4 - 2   use a timing light to finish the timing after it is
running.  If it will not start when you first try, have some one hit the
starter, while you move the distributor , not more than 1/4 inch in either
direction from center. good luck  Pat 67.5 2000 solex