Re: Please do not sacrifice an original car!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Please do not sacrifice an original car!
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:15:33 -0700

> Yeah you're right. Probably the worst of these types was that Shelby
> guy. Imagine sticking a V8 into an AC Ace of all cars! And then to want
> to put a big block Ford in there to boot. Well as you say...:-)

Let me clarify one thing, my comments were not to the subject of whether
or not to modify a particular car, or whether an all original, matching
numbers car was a good candidate for an engine swap, or even an attempt
to promote engine swaps (most folks who know me know how I dislike most
engine swaps). They were simply an attempt to put this whole question in
perspective. As much as we all may love our old Datsuns (Roadsters,
510s, or Zs), they are just cars after all, and almost none of them are
rare or collectable enough to get too bent out of shape over (no really
now folks, while the parts are hard to find and the cars are rare, they
are not Bugattis or Maybach Zeppelins or anything). This thing is about
having fun with them and enjoying them in whatever way you feel is best
(as long as its safe). Now if someone does have a rare, collectible car
and is thinking of modifying it, I am sure there would be several people
on the list willing to trade the person for a less obscure car, or who
would be willing to buy the person's car so they could go buy another
car that was "better suited" to modification. In other words, I am sure
there are those who really do feel strongly about this and would put
their money where their mouth is, rather than just blowing air.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher