Re: Frame to hold body during restoration

To: "Jim Williams" <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Frame to hold body during restoration
From: Ronnie Day <rday@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:03:19 -0500

>Has anyone built a frame to hold up the body and perhaps rotate it for
>use during frame off restoration... I am looking to take the body off
>the frame, but need to know what type of structure I should build...
>What have you all used to get the body up, and to get to the underside
>for restoration....
>
>Any ideas, plans, etc, would be appreciated... Also approx. how much
>does the body weigh once I lift it off the frame... Lastly, where can I
>bolt to on the body, when I lift it, to keep it from flexing...
>
>Thanks!
>Jim 68 2000
>jamesd_williams@yahoo.com
>Free instant messaging and more at http://messenger.yahoo.com

Jim,

A company called Accessible Systems (first mentioned here on this list, I
believe) makes several versions of what it sounds like you want. They
even offer frame-off rails to hold a body. The most expensive 2000 lb
model they offer is $1300, but that is adjustable height and has large
pneumatic tires on both ends to move the whole thing around. Website is:

http://www.accessiblesystems.com/

The gizmo is basically two (look a little like bumper) hydraulic jacks
that bolt to the ends of your body, on rails in your case. Raise the
assembly off the floor and rotate it like a piece of meat of a Barbecue
spite. In case you haven't figured it out, I'd love to have one. We just
don't have any place to use it.

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@airmail.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)