RE: Frame to hold body during restoration

To: "'Jim Williams'" <jamesd_williams@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Frame to hold body during restoration
From: "Coffin, Mark A." <COFFINM@mail.ecu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:17:36 -0400
Jim,

I'm doing exactly what you're asking about.  My '68 body is off the frame,
stored on a "rollabout" dolly.  It basically looks like two saw horses on
rollers, connected with some 2x4's.  The sawhorses are wide enough for
the body to sit on, and have notches for the underside rocker seam.

With everything removed, three people can easily lift the body off the
frame and onto the dolly.  It probably weighs less than 300 lbs.

As far as getting to the underside, Ross at Sports Imports recommends
simply taking the body into your backyard and turning it up on its side to
get at the bottom.  He also recommends bolting/welding some supports
across the door opening to keep the body from flexing.

The pros use a "spit" built from two engine stands for working on the car.

Good luck with your restoration!

Mark Coffin
SRL311-04425