Re: Distributor

To: Fred Katz <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: David & Candy Pina <casalp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 07:56:23 -0700
Fred,

> "Best bet is to remove the valve cover and note the position of the cam
> lobes for piston #1. TDC is after the compression stroke, so both valves
> should be closed and the cam lobes should be off the rocker arms. If both
> lobes are up and off in a "rabbit ears" position, then you're at #1 TDC..."

I've got piston #1 at TDC, confirmed by both intake and exhaust closed, lobes
pointing up, the timimg mark on the pully at the long line on the crank
pulley, and #4 pistons  cam lobes pointing down.

> "The upper end has the offset slot with the two semi-circles. This offset
> slot must be at the 11:25 position at TDC."

So  the notch says 11:25 with the smaller half circle toward the back, or
12:30 with the smaller half circle toward the front.

> "Now here's the catch. The position of the smaller semi-circle should match
> the alignment of the #1 spark plug cable on the distributor cap. To verify,
> pop the distributor cap. The rotor electrode should point in the direction
> of the smaller semi-circle. If you pull the rotor off, the flat of the cam
> (that the rotor sits on) should point in the direction of the smaller
> semi-circle. If all this is true, then everything will be all right and the
> following is true.
>
> If the smaller semi-circle is towards the front of the engine, then #1
> spark plug cable goes in the front position of the distributor about where
> the front clip is. If the smaller semi-circle is towards the rear of the
> engine, then #1 spark plug cable goes in the rear position of the
> distributor about where the rear clip is. Then put the other connections in
> the standard 1-3-4-2 order.
>
> In other words, don't orient the #1 spark plug cable only according to the
> distributor cap! You must orient it according to where #1TDC is."
>
> So the rotor points to the general direction of the smaller circle, with the
> number one terminal on the cap being the one closest to the tip of the
> rotor.I think I got it. By the way, if anyone decides to go to a remote oil
> filter/cooler be sure you know which ports on the adapter plate that bolts
> to the block are out and in.  I goofed and ruined my cam bearings and cam.
> Oil filters have this one way valve and.....nuf said.

David Pina srl701