Re: Fairlady

To: CRAIG HALSTED <MMJB28A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Fairlady
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 21:26:31 -0700
I'd like to believe that, but...

First, the production numbers don't support that theory. The roadster had
been on the market for years and only sold 50,000 units. The Z was wildly
popular from day one. The waiting list was well over a year long. People
were putting money down and ordering a car, then selling their place in
line for twice the down payment as the delivery date got close.

Second, the Z was perceived as an inexpensive Jag XK-E. Similar
proportions, very nice lines, 6-cyl engine, 4-wheel independent
suspension, and it was affordable. The Jag was $6500 in 1970.

Third, the whole definition of "affordable sports car" changed in the
early 1970's, beginning with the Z and followed the next year by the
Porsche 914. I don't think another "early-style" sports car was
introduced after that until the Miata (and it was an admitted Lotus Elan
copy).

No, the roadster went out of production because the world changed.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA