Re: Random alternator question...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Random alternator question...
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 5 May 99 11:51:15 CDT
Rob,

On the later ('78 and on) internally regulated alternators,
two connections:

"S" is sense connection. This should be connected to the battery
to sense the voltage.

"L" is the "Lamp" connection. Typically hooked up through a lamp
which has one side connected to +12V (ignition on).  The "L" terminal
serves two functions:

1. When power is applied, it will turn on the circuitry for the alternator.
2. When there is an error condition, that terminal is GROUNDED, to light
   the warning lamp.

I've seen quite a few alternators damaged by appling the ignition voltage
directly to the "L" terminal.  It should be through a small warning light,
or a resistor (GM uses "resistance wire" on cars without a warning lamp.).

Of humor... on the later Datsun's, when the dash warning light burns out
the alternator will not turn on as expected. If you rev the engine to
about 4,000 rpm... suddenly there is enough "self-excitement" to get the
alternator to kick start itself to be on... then around 1,500 rpm the
alternator stops putting out any current. Just makes it interesting to
trouble shoot... usually it is a bad dash light ($1) and not a $80/exchange
alternator.

Cheers,

Tom Walter