Rear Brakes - part 2 rear shims

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Brakes - part 2 rear shims
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:32:19 -0800
Thought I'd add to my earlier brakes note, since the memory of what I did
is still fresh.

I rebuilt my rear slave cylinders (and everything else, too). So it came
time to put them back in and I couldn't remember the order of the retaining
shims. Well it is handy to have another roadster around. I figured that
this time I'm going to figure out a way to remember how those darn shims go
in, so I won't ever have to look for an example again.

There are 4 retaining shims. 2 are copper, and 2 are steel. All you really
need to remember is that the copper shim with the 90 degree bent tips goes
in first, and that it goes into place from the reverse direction of the
other 3 shims. Slide it between the slave cylinder and the wheel backing
plate, starting from the end of the cylinder that the piston sticks out
from, with the bent tips facing away from the wheel backing plate.

The other 3 shims slide in from the other end of the cylinder, starting
with the 2nd copper shim until it locks in place over the 1st shim.

Stack the two steel shims on top of each other until their ends evenly line
up (50-50 chance of getting it 1st time). This is the order of their
placement over the copper shims.

There are a few other things I experimented with to make it easier next
time around, not only on the rear but on the front and on rebuilding the
master cylinders. I'll post it all later on in a single note. Oh, one more
thing I want to mention. Tom Walter suggests bleeding your hydraulics every
year. Well, not only am I going to do that, but I'm also going to open up
all the cylinders once a year and inspect them before bleeding the brakes.
I didn't realize how bad off mine were on the '70 I bought last year,
despite bleeding them last year and this year.

Fred - So.SF
'70 1600
'68 2000
'66 1600