U20 RPM range, cam timing, valve adjustment

To: "'Datsun Roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: U20 RPM range, cam timing, valve adjustment
From: "Governale, Joe (FL51)" <jgovernale@space.honeywell.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 06:51:27 -0500
>Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:10:54 -0800
>From: Kyle Hagemann <kyle@sonic.net>
>Subject: U20 RPM range, cam timing, valve adjustment

>Hi all;

>On my '69 2000, the engine feels like it runs out of air and/or fuel at
>about 5000 or 5500 rpm.  Looking at the redline (7000, AIR?), I think I'm
>missing something.  Any clues out there, or is that how SU-equipped U20's

Kyle,
Check for distributor slop. Using a timing light, rev the engine and check
the "width" of the timing mark. I had a similar problem a few years back on
mine and the mark widened out to about an inch. The distributor slop was
axial (up and down) and I fixed it by rebuilding the distributor and adding
some brass shims.
Good luck,
Joe Governale
Tampa, Fla.