re: Early Seven

To: chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Early Seven
From: gene.carter@grassvalleygroup.com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:00:59 -0700
John,

I think Steven and Fleming are right on the mark about this particular car -
an original Lotus Seven with updated parts.  In regard to the Lotus chassis
(VIN) plate, if the car shipped from Lotus as a kit, the plate said Lotus
Components.  If it shipped as an assembled car, the plate said Lotus Cars.
Dave Bean Engineering sells blank replica plates that say Lotus Components.
Perhaps John Watson can find the original specifications on frame 1135 to
see if it shipped as a kit or assembled.  Still I think the chassis plate
question hurts the value of this car.  If you've driven the car and really
like it, then make an offer on the low end of the scale - perhaps $9-11,000
(assuming that's less than the dealer is asking).  Otherwise, if you have
the money to spend and want a faster, nicer car then look for a 1500cc
Series 2.  With the correct chassis plate, you'll have fewer worries about
future value.  As Keith Gustafson said, prices here could range from $17,000
to $24,000 if the car is in good to excellent condition.  Any way you go,
they are fun cars that always attract attention!

Gene