Bob Challman

To: "Rod Bean" <rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM>
Subject: Bob Challman
From: "Andres Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2097 21:24:53 +0800
Rod,

You wrote:-

     Bob Challman, the former US West Coast Lotus distributor, Lotus racer
     and colorful, primary figure in Lotus' past, died October 5 of at
     heart attack.  He was 72 years old and was retired in Laguna Beach,
     California.

The factory invoice for my Lotus 23 was filled in by hand, and the
handwriting, not very legible to begin with, has faded a bit with the years.
Under "agent" though, the invoice reads "Ecurie Shirlee."  With that
information, the handwritten name becomes easy to decipher - Bob Challman.
Of course.

Except for a brief period for school in the 1970s, I haved lived in Manila
all my life.  I was indoctrinated into sports cars early in the 60s only
through Road & Track, Car & Driver, and Sports Car Illustrated.  Yet, as
isolated as I have been from the U.S., Ecurie Shirlee and Bob Challman are
instantly recognizable to me.  I wonder if Challman ever appreciated how
widely he was known.

I am sorry to learn that he has passed away.

Andres
MSCC Manila