Re[4]: Elan 5 speed box

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, gusmach@shore.net
Subject: Re[4]: Elan 5 speed box
From: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 09:16:52 PST8

gusmach@shore.net wrote on
Date:    10/13/97 8:19 AM:

>>Personally, for one of my own cars, I would have a lot of heartburn about
>>modifying a stock (particularly, a S1 or S2) Elan beyond return.

>Absolutely. The big struggle for me is to find something that does not
>involve cutting holes in the car. If I do the nissan conversion, I will
>need a new driveshaft, and will make a new one, not modify the old, for
>instance. I almost never modify hard to replace parts, I usually get a new
>one and modify it, saving the old. I have a bolt in water pump, but still
>own my original timing cover. My stock chassis, however, was not worth
>saving, and the Spyder was too good to pass up. What do you think about
>spyders, Rod? Just curious. I think if I were a concourse judge, and had
>two identical Elans to choose from, the spyder would lose. If I had to
>drive one home, the spyder would be it.

I think Spyder chassis are great (actually, I need one for my S2) except for
a car that would be intended as stock and original.  Like Erik, I'd like to
end up with one that way in addition to a modified one.

A Spyder chassis for vintage racing would be a much more difficult dilemma
(assuming one was on a committee trying to decide whether or not to approve
it).  There are obvious advantages in stiffness and you can achieve that
anyway with a stock chassis and a subtle cage... but it can become one of
those 23 deals where there are no original parts left to go with the chassis
plate!  Generally, for racing, I'd rather see easily replaced parts consumed
than hard-to-get ones.  On the other hand, they shouldn't be allowing funny
cars.

Tough problem.

Rod