Re: Re[2]: Elan 5 speed box

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Elan 5 speed box
From: gusmach@shore.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
>Personally, for one of my own cars, I would have a lot of heartburn about
>modifying a stock (particularly, a S1 or S2) Elan beyond return.

Absolutely. The big struggle for me is to find something that does not
involve cutting holes in the car. If I do the nissan conversion, I will need
a new driveshaft, and will make a new one, not modify the old, for instance.
I almost never modify hard to replace parts, I usually get a new one and
modify it, saving the old. I have a bolt in water pump, but still own my
original timing cover. My stock chassis, however, was not worth saving, and
the Spyder was too good to pass up. What do you think about spyders, Rod?
Just curious. I think if I were a concourse judge, and had two identical
Elans to choose from, the spyder would lose. If I had to drive one home, the
spyder would be it.

  But if it
>could be returned to stock anytime, I'd modify away for any purpose I felt was
>worthy (and have done, on occasion).

Definitely the key for me also

>Hearing that someone made an electric car out of a Chapman Lotus would give me
>heartburn squared.

The batteries would weigh more than the car!

 Years ago, as I've mentioned a while back, there was anElan
>drag car with a Chevy installed.

Cured that pesky oversteer problem, I'll bet

  Also, someone completely destroyed an Elan by
>preparing and running it as an off-road rally car.  =8-0
>
>On the other hand, an owner is just that and can do whatever he wants with his
>possession.  I just try not to think of some of the more outlandish
>possibilities.  :-(

Yeh, but wouldn't an all wheel drive Europa be sweet!