Re: piston rings

To: <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: piston rings
From: "jon" <jonnyaxt@iinet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:05:59 -0800
Sorry, but I still can't figure out "between gudgeon pin and away from left
hand (thrust)
side of piston". [The 4.0/4.6 section of the manual adds "thrust".] When I see
the word
"between", I expect to see "between x and y", that is, two items. The manual
goes on to
say "Position compression rings with ring gaps on opposite sides of piston
between gudgeon
pin and right hand side of piston -- viewed from front of piston." Note that
there is no
differenciation between the left and right bank. They seem to be saying that
the gaps will
be on the high side for one bank and on the low side for the other bank. My
buick manual
says "Position ends of expander above the piston pin where groove is not
slotted." This
does imply that the banks are treated differently, possibly agreeing with
Glenn. But does
Buick really want the gap at the front or back of piston, "where the groove is
not
slotted"? Both sides of my Rover pistons are slotted in the oil ring groove.
Only above
the ends of the pin (ie, front and back of piston) is the Rover oil control
groove not
slotted. A ford V-8 manual wants the expander gap at the very back of the
piston for all
eight pistons. All very confusing, except for what Ford wants: Ford shows a
circle
representing the top of the piston, and all the gaps shows on that circle, like
the hands
of a clock.

Regarding left and right, the Rover manual (LRL 0164 and LRL 0004) explicitly
says "viewed
from front of piston", contrary to the norm of sitting behind the steering
wheel.

Jon