RE: piston rings

To: jonnyaxt@iinet.com, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: piston rings
From: "StagByTriumph@tscusa.org" <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:33:13 -0500
Hi John,
Pistons have a "front" which is positioned to the front of the engine
block.  It is usually marked with an arrow, or text stamped into the top of
the poston.  That is in line with the wrist pin and aligns the underside
oiling.

Engine left is as you are sitting in the driver seat (left or right hand
drive).

Left as refered to in the manual is for the down side of the piston, or
left side of the piston.  This is so the gap is not sitting where fuel or
oil might easily travel by gravity past the piston into the sump.  If the
gaps are on the up side, then fuel and oil will sit on the ring ready for
the next start.

Glenn Merrell
President, TSC USA