Re: new to list, dizzy question, and archives?

To: isaac fain <isaacfain@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: new to list, dizzy question, and archives?
From: Richard Barrington <richard@freedomwigs.com>
Date: 05 Oct 2003 21:24:12 +1300
Hi Isaac,

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 08:47, isaac fain wrote:
> Dizzy:  what's the skinny on aftermarket distributors?  A friend of mine
> just had a new 4.0L block stuffed under his 3.5L ancillaries and stock
> injection system - he's getting some pinging under acceleration and
> can't seem to retard the timing quite right to make it go away.  From
> some information over on RPI's website, it stated that the 3.5L
> distributor's advance curve wasn't optimum for the higher compression on
> the new block - we were kind of left wondering how to go about finding a
> good replacement, however, since the "right" compression was on a  GEMS
> ignition.

If that's the reason for the problems, maybe a dizzy from a P6, SD1 or
9.35:1 Range Rover would suit better? There's also plenty of speed shops
that can re-curve them. Otherwise, maybe talk to Mallory about their
distributors. You could also consider a MegaSpark or other programmable
electronic ignition system.

> back to my rig for a second - I just replaced my coil with an MSD
> blaster II, and am having a difficult time retaining the ignition lead
> wire as the stock rover spec wire-boot is too small for the MSD coil!
>  Arrghhh - at any rate, from my PAW catalog I saw that they sell a
> reatining clip specifically for the MSD coils and a new wire for HEI
> distributor caps, but am assuming it won't work on my rover dizzy.  Any
> words of wisdom for me?  I have some string around the boot that's
> keeping the wire retained - looks really bad, but has worked so far . .
> . would be nice to not look so trashy tho.

I'll hazard a guess that an regular 8mm lead from coil to cap might fit
OK, but the MSD website shows a bunch of lead options. I'm sure they'll
have a std dizzy to coil lead.

> Currently it's failing emissions horribly, I suspect the O2 sensors and
> then will resign myself to ((*^&%$!) plugged catalytic converters - I
> replaced both less than two years ago, but ran around for too long on a
> badly set TPS sensor with the ECU light burning.  It's horribly rich  -
> CO is at 11%.

O2 sounds like a fair guess, but check the rest of the system too. Eg,
check the temp sensor, so it's not stuck in warm-up enrichment mode and
so on.

Richard.

///
///