new to list, dizzy question, and archives?

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: new to list, dizzy question, and archives?
From: isaac fain <isaacfain@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:47:45 -0700
Greetings!  I will probably a couple of familiar names on here from
LRO/RRO?  I have a '91 rangie and at 150k am beginning to consider the
possiblity of a rebuild.  I hope to find the archives somewhere around
here (used to have the link but I lost it)  and soak up some expertise
to better plan for my 3.9 rebuild, which isn't in any big rush to get
done.  I have about a 10% spread on compression right now, and figure
that I could rebuild the heads and fix that up a bit but am loathe to
sink much money into it piece-meal - I'd rather take it down for 6
months here over one of the rainy seasons and do it all at once.

Dizzy:  what's the skinny on aftermarket distributors?  A friend of mine
just had a new 4.0L block stuffed under his 3.5L ancillaries and stock
injection system - he's getting some pinging under acceleration and
can't seem to retard the timing quite right to make it go away.  From
some information over on RPI's website, it stated that the 3.5L
distributor's advance curve wasn't optimum for the higher compression on
the new block - we were kind of left wondering how to go about finding a
good replacement, however, since the "right" compression was on a  GEMS
ignition.

back to my rig for a second - I just replaced my coil with an MSD
blaster II, and am having a difficult time retaining the ignition lead
wire as the stock rover spec wire-boot is too small for the MSD coil!
 Arrghhh - at any rate, from my PAW catalog I saw that they sell a
reatining clip specifically for the MSD coils and a new wire for HEI
distributor caps, but am assuming it won't work on my rover dizzy.  Any
words of wisdom for me?  I have some string around the boot that's
keeping the wire retained - looks really bad, but has worked so far . .
. would be nice to not look so trashy tho.

Currently it's failing emissions horribly, I suspect the O2 sensors and
then will resign myself to ((*^&%$!) plugged catalytic converters - I
replaced both less than two years ago, but ran around for too long on a
badly set TPS sensor with the ECU light burning.  It's horribly rich  -
CO is at 11%.

thanks for any help - I look forward to reading the threads on here, and
pestering you more about ignition upgrades, headers, and all the other
stuff I am currently clueless about!

cheers,

isaac fain
seattle, wa