4.6L V8 for Triumph TR8

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: 4.6L V8 for Triumph TR8
From: Russell Bowman <russmans@home.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:42:45 -0700
    Hey there everyone, I've just joined your list which I hear is a
fountain of information.  I write regarding use of a late model Rover v8
in my old TR8.  I aquired a spare Rover SD1 engine and had planned to
build a Rover 4.2 stroker using a Buick 300 crankshaft which I had
machined to fit.  This seemed like a good setup, but after considering
all the machine shop bills, I decided to wait and get the ultimate...the
4.6L.  I just took delivery of the second David Hardcastle book
containing info on the crossbolted engines.  From what I've seen so far,
it doesn't sound very promising to adapt a carb and distributor to the
late engine.  Can it be done?  I'm sure I've seen articles and posts
using these engines without injection or coil on plug setup.  Where are
these engines available?  Are they prohibitively expensive to rebuild?
How bout using my Isky or other hotter Buick camshaft? How does the
serpentine belt system fit into all this?  Can the early front cover be
used?  Since my car is an original carbed TR8, I don't want to hack into
the wiring to run electronic engine management, even though it is far
superior.  Any info is appreciated here.

Thanks

Russell Bowman
1980 Triumph TR8 DHC 5spd (awaiting 300hp makeover!)
Victoria, B.C.
Canada
russmans@home.com

///