Re: Automatic Trans of Choice

To: Dave Williams <dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us>,
Subject: Re: Automatic Trans of Choice
From: Curtis Hunter <amy_curt@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:40:19 -0700
Dave,
A little late in responding.
I purchased a bellhousing off of a 4.0L RR with the ZF4HP22 automatic, then
picked up a ZF4 Hp 22 out of a '88 Volvo 760 (780?).  Hoping to make a Rover
rear drive 4 speed auto that is small and serviceable.   It is not a bolt
on.  The Volvo
bellhousing is shorter, as is the torque converter.  Half of the bolts match
up on the trans
housing and bell.  It seem there is an intermediate pump plate between the
body and bell that
may account for the difference (and input shaft)  Too much work for me, I
sold the whole thing
to Glenn Towery in Deleware to play with.  BMW also uses this trans in its
big saloons, (albeit 5 speeds!).
Here is a shot of this trans next to a LT 77 manual box for size comparison.
If the jpeg doesn't make
it ask, I'll forward it.
You may also want to look into the BW 65/66  it was but under some Rover
3500s and Jag XJ 6 up to 1984,
I have one of those trannies.
Cheers.
c.