RE: Rover V8 Oil Pressure

To: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Subject: RE: Rover V8 Oil Pressure
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:34:42 -0600
Lets see if I can sort this out.  This gets confusing so hang on.

Glen Wilson writes:

>Larry,
>
>Pardon me if I'm jumping into this thread in the middle and have missed
something, but 8-10 psi oil pressure at idle doesn't sound normal to me.

Glen wrote the above because I posted the following question.

>John, your reply was regarding the 8-10 pound oil pressure at idle, what would
be the typical pressure at driving speeds (2000-3000 rpm)?

I asked the question because John had posted the following answer and I thought
he was responding to the idle oil pressure:

>Your pressure is about  what is to be expected.  The Rover motor does not make
high pressures.

John was replying because David Brown stated:

>I recently installed an oil gauge and discovered that my NEW (well, 17K miles
now) 4.6 block is only getting 8-10 psi at idle.

And he further stated:

>my cruise pressure is around 35-40 psi, so not too bad.
>
>What can I do to beef up the 3.5L oil pump?

Whew, did you figure that out?  I did my research and found the *1961 Buick*
engine should be running about 33 lbs. at 2500 rpm (thanks to others who
responded and gave me similar numbers).  But I did not find out any info on idle
pressure.  However the brief time my engine was running it ran around the 30
mark at idle.  Seems to me that 8-10 lbs at idle is low.

Larry Hoy