An introduction

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: An introduction
From: Jamie Heasman <Jamie.Heasman@fujitsu.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:36:46 +1200
Hi

My name is Jamie Heasman, I'm a Londoner by birth but living in New Zealand
(married a Kiwi girl).  I own a TVR Chimaera which some of you may be
familiar with but I'd forgive you if you weren't as you are not allowed to
import them into the USA!   The engine is based on a Rover V8 but heavily
modified.  The 'standard' TVR engines range from a 4.0litre engine
developing 240bhp up to a 5.0litre producing 340bhp - of course all these
figures are TVR's and bare not resemblence to reality!

My car has been modified over and above the TVR spec' (see below) and I'm
currently gathering the parts to replace the rings and hone the bores as a
miss-fire seems to have spoiled the running-in process.   I'm also
struggling with a squeaky serpentine set-up at the moment which could be
belt, tensioner ($200.00USD to replace!) or alignment - any help from anyone
who's had to fix a similar problem would be gratefully received. The engine
mapping is also taking some effort to sort out, but even though the
powerplant is not 100% healthy it is proving to be very strong with massive
low-down grunt.  Of course it only has 1040kgs to push around so performance
is pretty vivid!

I don't suppose I'll be able to contribute much to this list, but I'll lurk
for a while and listen with interest.

Cheers

Jamie Heasman

The engine in my Chimaera originally started out as a 4.0litre HC (Highlift
Cam) but now wears the following spec'

Bore : 3.7" Stroke : 3.5"  CC : 4931
Main bearing diameter : 2.3"  Conrod bearing diameter : 2.0"
Conrod length : 6.0" (3/8" Bolts) Crower I-Beam
Compression ratio : 9.46:1 static
Piston material : Forging (USA origin)
Compression Ring : 1.2mm Steel Cosworth Competition
Oil ring : 3mm one piece Cosworth Competition
Gudgeon Pin : Cosworth full floating (.875")

Cylinder Heads - Group 'A' (Ex TWR blank alternative castings)
Valve Dymnamics         Inlet           Exhaust
Diameter                        1.725"          1.499" *
Centres                         1.06°           114°
Duration (@ .050")              212°            218°
Lift                            .477"           .485"
Seperation                      110°

Clutch : Hybrid Ford Falcon, lightened & balanced
Flywheel : Venolia Alloy Plate (cast by Britten motorcycles)
Flywheel facing : EN36

Dry sump system utilizing existing oil pump + seperate scavenge.
LINK engine management computer controlling fuel and ignition.

* Manley Severe Duty Race Flow