RR 215 vairs

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RR 215 vairs
From: Ric Smith <rsmith@coppercom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:35:27 -0700
Hey Dan, I just started lurking on this list and now you're talking about
me, pure coincidence or proof of alien life?  Anyway, I've grenaded a couple
of RR 215 based motors in the back end of the evil road trip Vair since we
last had contact.  The 2 X 2 266 scattered itself when a rod let go on the
I-5 somewhere in southern Oregon on an extended road trip, managed to
salvage the 300 heads (after some chamber welding) and the intake, the rest
was alum recycling.  The subsequent RR 215 (my "insurance" motor)that I had
picked up "running" from a corvair guy in SoCal committed suicide via a
failed oil pump.  Both engines were based on Buick blocks which I have now
officially abandoned.

The new and improved replacement is in the machine shop right now. I scored
a 4.6 Rover with the large main journals (the 300 crank drops right
in--sweet...) and the 4 bolt cross bolted main caps.  It now displaces 4.8l
(around 292 inches)and has the 3 & 3/4" bore.

Seperately, I have more or less perfected the use of the 2 speed automatic
Corvair Powerglide transaxle through some fairly extensive modifications to
the trans.  I still hate the lack of ratios but I can keep it alive.  We'll
save that discussion for another day.

I've got a couple of Isky RR cams.  We can talk.

Go to Kennedy Engineered in SoCal for for RR dist gears.  Yes, they are
bronze, and have to be oiled.

The Corvair V8 registry is the best gearhead/speedfreak club on Earth.
Join, and mingle with premier automotive psychopaths, as well as some of the
finest engineering outside of NASCAR.

I've got some flow numbers from some heavily messaged 300 heads, have to dig
em up sometime. (preview: very disappointing numbers)

Does this list have a digest option? The individual messages are killing my
inbox.  Ric Smith.  rsmith@coppercom.com