RE: RR 215 vairs

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RR 215 vairs
From: "Jones, Daniel C" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:53:50 -0500
>Hey Dan, I just started lurking on this list and now you're talking about
>me, pure coincidence or proof of alien life?

Welcome back.

>Anyway, I've grenaded a couple
>of RR 215 based motors in the back end of the evil road trip Vair since we
>last had contact.  The 2 X 2 266 scattered itself when a rod let go on the
>I-5 somewhere in southern Oregon on an extended road trip, managed to
>salvage the 300 heads (after some chamber welding) and the intake, the rest
>was alum recycling.

Ouch.  Were you running 215 or 327 rods?  Was it a rod bolt, spun bearing,
or???

>The subsequent RR 215 (my "insurance" motor)that I had
>picked up "running" from a corvair guy in SoCal committed suicide via a
>failed oil pump.

Shaft or gear?

>The new and improved replacement is in the machine shop right now.
>I scored a 4.6 Rover with the large main journals (the 300 crank drops
right
>in--sweet...) and the 4 bolt cross bolted main caps.  It now displaces 4.8l
>(around 292 inches)and has the 3 & 3/4" bore.

Cool.  I've not run across one of those yet.  Are you retrofitting covers
or going distributorless?

Since we last talked, I've come up with lots of Buick 215 and 300 parts.
I've got a 215 sitting on a stand that I need to sink the valves and check
piston to valve clearance.  Then I picked up a 3.9L Rover big bore block,
Buick 300 crank and heads, etc to do a 290 cube motor.  After that I
came across a Buick 266 stroker full or primo parts like Venolia pistons,
Crower rods, etc.  Plus lots of spares.  You know how it is... gotta get
all I can before those idiots start hoarding them :-)

>Seperately, I have more or less perfected the use of the 2 speed automatic
>Corvair Powerglide transaxle through some fairly extensive modifications to
>the trans.  I still hate the lack of ratios but I can keep it alive.  We'll
>save that discussion for another day.

Chuck will be interested in that for when he hits the nitrous.

>I've got a couple of Isky RR cams.  We can talk.

I'll let him know.  At this point, he has a cam installed but has no idea
what the specifications are.

>Go to Kennedy Engineered in SoCal for RR dist gears.  Yes, they are
>bronze, and have to be oiled.

I'll point him in that direction.

>The Corvair V8 registry is the best gearhead/speedfreak club on Earth.
>Join, and mingle with premier automotive psychopaths, as well as some of
the
>finest engineering outside of NASCAR.

May just have to do that.  Email list and newsletter I presume?

>I've got some flow numbers from some heavily messaged 300 heads, have to
dig
>em up sometime. (preview: very disappointing numbers)

I'd like to see them.  I've got some 215 and 300 heads I'm going to put
on the flow bench.  As I recall, stock Buick 300 heads flowed about
as well as Ron Hopwood's worked 215 heads.

>Does this list have a digest option? The individual messages are killing my
>inbox.  Ric Smith.  rsmith@coppercom.com

I don't think so but it shouldn't be a problem.  This list is sporadic and
goes
quiet for weeks before a new thread starts up.

Dan Jones