Re: Close but still not done, more questions (Long)

To: Wake074@aol.com
Subject: Re: Close but still not done, more questions (Long)
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 19:00:00 -0700
5/3/00

Glenn,

        All these engines had spin-on filters originally--what kind of
adaptor are you talking about?  Do you mean the angled one from a V6?  Or
maybe a remote filter adaptor?  How about that as a possibility?  It would
just give you hoses leading to a remote (convenient) location for the
filter.  Would that eliminate your interference problem?

        The small nipple in the one rocker cover is indeed for the positive
crankcase ventilation system.  Ideally a PCV valve should be connected here
and hose routed from it to the base of the carburetor.  IMPORTANT!! The
connection has to be directly into the intake manifold, underneath the
throttle butterflies in the carburetor, at all times, whether they are open
or closed.  These systems work on manifold vacuum, not venturi vacuum.  If
you don't do the PCV, then you will need to rig up some sort of "Road
Draft" system attached to the same nipple.  One way or the other, some
suction has to be applied to the crankcase to pull out the oil vapors and
moisture condensation and blowby gasses.  Fresh air then is drawn through
your breather cap on the other rocker cover, continuously entering the
crankcase.   Charcoal cannisters are only used as part of the evaporative
emission control system, which didn't exist in 1961-1963.  Any cannister
you have in the car should either be left disconnected, or you should learn
about evaporative systems and figure out how to adapt it.  I do not know
any details of these systems.

        I'm not familiar with the"timed" and "not timed" terminology for
the distributor vacuum advance line connections on the carburetor.  I do
know you need to use the one which is blocked from intake manifold exposure
by the edge of the throttle plates when the engine is idling.  That way
there is no advance (neither centrifugal nor vacuum) at idle, except
whatever you set with the timing light.  Then, as the throttle plates open,
this port is gradually exposed more and more to intake manifold vacuum and
responds by increasing advance when vacuum is high and reducing advance
when vacuum is low.  This is the way the original stock setup operated.  I
assume you are using an original type distributor with the Pertronix
conversion.  The distributor is still in control of all timing
functions--all the electronic conversion accomplishes is to eliminate the
points and, hopefully, give a stronger spark voltage at a high engine
speeds than the stock system.

        Hope this does not muddy the waters too much.

Cheers,

Dave Kernberger