RE: Camshafts

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Camshafts
From: "P Burgers" <PBURGERS@CPLS.WCAPE.GOV.ZA>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 05:10:52 +0200
I have an interesting problem with my engine in my Range Rover.

Blew one of the head gaskets a week or two ago and had to tear the
beast down.  Having stripped it down I decided to redo the timing
chain and stick in a new std. cam and lifters.

The heads went off to be machined and have the valve seats recut.
When they came back I thought that the shop had been a bit too
enthusiastic in straightening the heads, and had perhaps taken too
much off.

Put the whole shebang back together, using Felpro gaskets instead of
the standard Rover tin gaskets, put in new rockers, shafts and
pedestals.  The beastie started but ran like a dog, and I noticed
that the rockers weren't oiling the way they used to.

Long story short, I put the old shafts and rockers back on and the
beastie now runs like a dream again.

I figure that the worn shafts and rockers have enough play to keep
the valve train properly closed while new lot are causing the valves
to stay open a tad as the machine shop has taken too much off the
heads.

My question is merely this - I can source a set of adjustable push
rods, but how the devil do I set them up ???  Do I do it the way that
they do the Chevy rods - set it up for zero lash when cold and then
tighten down a turn, or do I have to do some serious measuring with
dial indicators and the like???

Any advice most welcome!!!

Peter B
Cape Town