Spit-V8 Questions

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit-V8 Questions
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 09:59:00 -0500
-> I have determined that I am tight for vertical space.  I have the GT6
-> hood (with a bulge down the middle), but I don't think I can get the
-> engine low enough for the engine plus carbuerator and aircleaner to
-> fit under the hood without spreading the frame to drop the engine
-> (actually the bell housing) further.

 I did this swap with a 400 Chevy and Powerglide.  I notched and
reinforced the frame rails.  I also notched the firewall on the sides to
slide the engine back several more inches.  It was a little extra work,
but the extra setback was worth it.

 The Powerglide was a major problem as the frame rails closely followed
the original breadbox transmission.  I wound up cutting the frame,
flipping the rails to pooch out instead of in, and filling in the
missing bits with 1/8" plate.  I then made a new transmission cover by
laying papier-mache (wet newspapers, actually) on top of the trans and
laying fiberglass mat on that, then scooping out the paper when it set
up.

-> Also, I think my engine might be tilted the wrong way.  As it most

 Move OEM installations tilt the engine *down* at the back,
approximately 5 degrees.

-> I'm inviting trouble by tilting the engine down towards the front
-> like this?

 Do it right, notch the frame.  You can do it easily enough with a $50
4" or 4.5" angle grinder.  Once the engine sits where you want, weld (or
have welded) whatever reinforcements are needed.  You may have to do
considerable work to get the transmission to sit properly.

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm