Spit-V8 Questions

To: buikc-rover-v8 newsgroup <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit-V8 Questions
From: Kris & Bill Wessale <wessale@iwl.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 22:02:05 -0600
I am in the process of fitting a BOP215 into a Spitfire, and I have a
couple questions  which I'm hoping one or two of you might be able to
answer.

I have determined that I am tight for vertical space.  I have the GT6
hood (with a bulge down the middle), but I don't think I can get the
engine low enough for the engine plus carbuerator and aircleaner to fit
under the hood without spreading the frame to drop the engine (actually
the bell housing) further. I plan to eventually fit a Carter carb, but I
don't have one yet.  I've been taking measurements using an old
Rochester that came with the engine.  Can anyone on the list tell me two
important Carter (500?) dimensions -- 1)height from the top of the
manifold (or bottom of the carbuerator body) to the top of the
carbuerator, and 2)dimensions of the aircleaner (diameter and height
above the carbuerator)?

Also, I think my engine might be tilted the wrong way.  As it most
easily fits between the uprights and the frame (without spreading the
frame), the carb will tilt nose down nearly 9 degrees when the car is
level.  This seems wrong.  Shouldn't the engine be either level (to make
the carb level), or tilt down slightly towards the rear to reduce the
angle at the driveshaft u-joints (tranny and diff)?  Does anyone know if
I'm inviting trouble by tilting the engine down towards the front like
this?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Wessale
wessale@iwl.net