RE: Steering

To: "'James Nazarian Jr'" <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>,
Subject: RE: Steering
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:09:02 -0700
I would be very careful if you are planning to modify the steering design to
add an additional U-joint.  I drove a car (1971 GT) that had this done to
accept an SD-1 Rover V-8 with fuel injection.  The owner added an
intermediate shaft that was secured to the fenderwell with Heim joints.  It
looked kloodgy, and the car drove like a truck (with the steering wheel
about 4 inches lower down in your lap).  I was V-8 hungry at the time, but
this car had so many jury rigs that I couldn't justify the $7 grand the guy
wanted for it. Luckily I found a factory GT V-8 only 5 miles from my house,
it cost a mint but it's original.

Sure, the RB crossmember raises the ride height some, but you eliminate a
lot of other headaches by using what the factory used on the GT V-8.

Cheers,
Paul Kile, Fair Oaks, CA
1974 MGB-GT V-8 (The Rustbucket, soon to rise again as The Phoenix)