Mallory timing

To: "V8 Rover List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Mallory timing
From: "Glen Wilson" <RoverCar@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:00:33 -0400
I have a Mallory Dual Point distributor and a Hyfire IIa system on my
Edelbrock 1404 equipped but otherwise stock SD1 V8.  I have the vacuum
advance ported to the takeoff on the throttle cable side of the carb which I
think is the "non-emissions" side.  This seems to advance the engine way,
way up.  If, for example, with the vacuum advance disconnected and the port
plugged I set the engine to TDC, the timing will be advanced all the way to
about 11 BTDC when the vacuum advance is reattached.  This seems like a lot
to me.  If I were to set the timing to 6 BTDC, the indicator would be off
the scale when I reattached the vacuum line to the distributor.

Does this sound normal?  How would you set up the timing on this car?  Would
it be better to take the vacuum off of the "emission-controlled" (timed)
port?  Should the distributor be modified?

Thanks for the help.

Glen Wilson
Rover Saloon Touring Club of America
http://clubs.hemmings.com/rovercar/rstca.html