we love free stuff!

To: "Buick-Rover-V8 Mail List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: we love free stuff!
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:26:00 +1200
11/7/99
Hi all,
Yesterday i met with a young chap who was of necessity getting rid of the
leftovers from 3500 rebuild. Seems 2 years ago he'd bought a '72 RR which
had a rebuilt engine & the seller chucked in a bunch of "spares". The lad
had run out of places to store the bits & was giving the stuff away to a
home. So what've i ended up with? ...(i) 10.5:1 cr block all clean with new
freeze plugs but lightly rusting bores, (ii) a machined crank with label
attached saying  ten thou over (iii) very clean prep'd heads along with a
bunch of tatty gaskets, valves ,bearings etc. Problem is that the water has
got at the con-rods & they're really coated in rust but appear to have been
worked on too. NO pistons.
Question time: the only usable part could be the crank so should i assign
the whole lot to a hoarding place in my garage or is this stuff just really
junk? i already have a spare untouched engine ready for a truly serious
performance rebuild to replace the animal that i reco'd for my kitcar.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Pete