62 Skylark 215 oil pump loses prime

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: 62 Skylark 215 oil pump loses prime
From: SEEverist@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 21:29:52 EDT
My mom's '62 Skylark convert finally had the engine rebuilt a few years back.
 It was sent to Baker to be rebuilt as my parent's lived near Seattle at the
time.  After lots of money and problems, there is still one nagging issue
with the motor.  I guess Baker's son is doing the work, and my father was
less than impressed by the job and some lies about pistons (originally it was
the highest compression offerred, and now it's compression is far less then
it ever was).

The oil pump loses it's prime and has to be torn apart and repacked with
vaseline.  This was a problem in the past, mostly because the car would only
get driven a couple times during the summer after having sat for 6+ months.
It was expected, and before starting it the first time for the year it would
be taken care of.  From 1964 to present, it's only had about 30,000 miles put
on it.

But, now that my parents are living in Arizona, it gets out al little more
often for sunny day drive.  But, even after a couple weeks of sitting, it
still loses it's prime.

Supposedly some things were done with the oiling system to improve it, such
as a V6 pickup being used and a passage opened to help rear main oiling.

Any help or tricks are appreciated, and I will pass them on to my dad.

Steve