Power

Subject: Power
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:13:45 +1200
Just had my car run on the dyno yesterday and thought people might like to
know about the power figures. The engine in the car is a Leyland P76 V8, 4.4
litres in size. The engine came out of car in a scrapyard, so I don't know
if anything has been done to it. The car runs on LPG (propane).

Last year it dyno'ed at 118HP at the rear wheels at 4000rpm.

Since then I've installed a single plane inlet manifold and have fitted a
freer flowing exhaust system.

The result of all this? 126.5 HP at the rear wheels (at 4600rpm) and
620Ftlbs of torque (this figure is after the diff of course, hence the high
number).

I must admit that I was hoping for more, as you always do after spending
lots of money, but perhaps this indicates that the breathing of the motor is
restricted by the heads/cam as much as anything.

Anyone care to comment or does anyone have some power figures for their
motors?

The people at the dyno shop showed me some other runs, one from a Morgan
plus 8 and one from a V8 MGB and the rear wheel horsepower was about the
same, albeit at higher revs (5000rpm). These cars are probably in a higher
state of tune and are running on petrol, but are 3.5 litres in capacity. The
advantage my engine has is the large amount of torque available.

> .-->

Simon Sparrow

Enterprise Network Architect
WANG NZ Ltd