some ideas about some engine noise

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: some ideas about some engine noise
From: "Op" <oliverp@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:33:34 -0700
Hi fellow Alum v8 lovers,

My wife came home today with her Mustang GT, and said "its making a noise".
I asked what kind of noise, she replied "a funny one"
"funny bad? or funny ha ha" was my reply, but I knew better. I listened and
when it first starts up there is a rattle from the valve cover. I have stock
roller lifters. the noise disappears after engine rpm stabalizes. I am
thinking that its a bad Lifter. Any thoughts? Maybe there is a oil pressure
problem? would that cause a valve noise on startup? I would think that a bad
lifter would tick continuosly. I hope and prey its not a rod knock.
I know its not a BOP/Rover, but this problem is a generic problem associated
with most OHV V8s, and this is the only automotive list I'm on. Any ideas
what to look for, or easy test? BTW, the car has a 112k on it, and had a
valve job at 80k, but only a few valves were replaced, not the lifters.

Op