TIMING COVER REPLACEMENT

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: TIMING COVER REPLACEMENT
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:29:54 -0700
Hi Gang,
        I am slowly tearing into my Rover V8 to rebuild it for my MGB
transplant. This is my first V8, having rebuilt many MG 4 bangers!.
I have run up against a major snag, I am not able to remove the timing
cover because I cannot remove one of the real long bolts as it is seized
solid with corrosion. The head of this bolt sheared off as I was into
removed the water pump. Now after much penetrating oil, application of heat
and finally the MIG welder I have all but this one bolt out and it remains
steadfast!. The water pump is now off and I have about 1/4 to 3/8 inch of
the bolt shaft exposed. I plan on taking the whole thing into a local
machine shop to see if he can get the thing out and preserve the timing
cover. Failing this I feel I must resort to the destruction of the aluminum
cover to get it off and the bolt out, so I can continue with the rebuild.
Question for you folks out there....what are my options for a replacement
timing cover.  Can I use one from an alternative domestic motor, if so what
make and or model years should I look for at the local car recyclers. I bet
there are some alternatives for this part, if only I new what they were.
Suggestions and offers of help greatly appreciated.
The V8 rookie, John.
     E-mail jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com
  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
  ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **
    **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **
Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S COUPE