RE: TR7 to V-8 Tach modification

To: "'Perry Robinson'" <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>,
Subject: RE: TR7 to V-8 Tach modification
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:41:22 -0800
Perry :

Many tachs can be switched to/from 4/6/8 by changing a resistor, but it's
not usually in series with the connection to the coil.  For analog tachs,
there is a simple circuit inside that converts the frequency of the pulses
from the coil to a voltage that drives essentially a voltmeter movement
attached to the dial.  The resistor scales the voltage for the number of
pulses/revolution.

There _are_ circuits that could be scaled by a resistor in series with the
coil connection, but they would be sensitive to changes in dwell, battery
voltage, etc.  I doubt you will find a commercial tach that uses them.

I've never seen a TR7 tach (my TR3 tach is mechanical), but if you can send
me a schematic I can probably tell you how to modify it.

You might also try asking on the Triumph list.  triumphs@autox.team.net

Randall