RE: PERRY -Reply -Reply

To: PROBINSO@flower-mound.com, GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net
Subject: RE: PERRY -Reply -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:32:13 -0600
>I hate to say "money is not the object, because if it wasn't we would all be
>driving Lambos, but if I have to rebuild the $300 Holley, rejet, new
>metering block, etc., I could just about buy the Edelbrock new and bolt it
>on.  (and still sell the Holley which has maybe 500 miles on it, and has
>never been dissassembled)

Ypu won't just bolt the edelbrock on either.  Figure $45 for the
tuning kit.  You'll still need to tune it but the rods and springs
are easy.  Jets and floats require removing the top cover.
Still cheaper and easier.  No way to adjust the secondary
opening point.  It's controlled by a counter weight.  Either
grind off weight or add weight.  Luckily the air valve secondary
usually doesn't need adjustment.  The Carter AVS was superior
in this regard.  It had an adjustable spring for this.

I got a Holley 735 free for the Pantera and even though I
prefer the design of the Carter, I've made the Holley work
well and I still have some things to tune.  Cost me about
$100 even though I got the carb free.

>The pro-jection I saw in the paper was offered for sale for $150!  Weren't
>they about $1,000 new?

No, the simple analog ones were cheaper.  Later ones got O2
sensors and went digital.  Those were the expensive ones.

>Would it be easy to get screwed on buying something like that used, not
>knowing if it even works now?

Yup.  The biggest complaint I've heard about them is reliability.

Dan Jones