RE: Buick 300 heads on a P76 Block

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Buick 300 heads on a P76 Block
From: Gregg Williams <Gregg_Williams@plano.sterling.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:00:26 -0600
Hi group,
        I've mulled this problem over for quite a while and after talking
with a BUNCH of different people, I've got some OPINIONS on how it can be
done.

1) The BEST way (Also the MOST expensive).  Order a set of Roller Rockers
from T&D Machine in Carson City Nevada.  They have sets for the 215 in
various ratios and allow for oiling through hollow pushrods.  These have to
be used with lifters (cam followers) for the 70-81 Buick 350.  I think 77 up
Buick V6 lifters are identical.  The Rockers and heavy duty shafts are
around $500US a set.  They aint cheap!  But, one might be able to reuse the
stock P76 pushrods as well.

2) Another way (A lot cheaper).  Have fabricated a pair of rocker shafts the
same diameter as the 70- 81 Buick 350 or late Buick V6 and use the stamped
steel rocker arms, also from the 350 and V6.  The rocker arms are held in
place with teflon buttons and have a 1.55 ratio.  They are non-adjustable.
I think TA Performance in Arizona can do this.  Of course, the rocker stands
would require honing to open them up.  Don't know how much this would weaken
them.

3) The CHEAP way.  Tap a "Tee" fitting into the oil pressure switch outlet
on the front cover.  Run an oil line to both heads.  Drill a hole in the
heads just below the rocker covers and tap a fitting through it.  Tap and
thread the rocker shafts at the front and attach an elbow fitting to that
and connect it all up.  Sounds flakey... BUT, it works.  I got that tidbit
from a Buick v8 guy.  He'd built up a late Buick 455 with the better flowing
67 430 heads.  The problem is exactly the same... only on one side.  430
heads oiled through the block while the 455 oils through the pushrods.
Weird thing is, the 455 block has the block oil passage, only on ONE side!
Anyway, they had to do what I've described to make the 430 head work on the
right side of the block.  Worked great!  He even sent me a picture of it.
Seeing is believing.  Knarly, but real neat!  He has 8000 miles on the motor
with no problems.

        Anyway, that's my two cents on that.  Oh yeah, thanks a bunch for
the encouragement Lar!  Your opinion is appreciated.  :-)

Greg