Re: Hydraulic Lifter problems

To: chand@primenet.com
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifter problems
From: Ian Crocker <ian@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:23:22 +0100 (BST)
> On my 1980 tr8 I am experiencing a tapping noise when hot, which comes
> and goes. Sometimes it will get noisy on acceleration or deceleration
> and then if I use a constant throttle the noise will go away. At first
> I thought it might be a rod end bearing, but the noise is intermittent
> , I would'nt expect that of a rod bearing.

I had a similar problem once, also on a TR8.  The sound came from the right
hand bank of cylinders.  I couldn't isolate it so replaced all the lifters
(which doesn't cost much and if one is gone they are probably all worn).
Checked the lifter bore for wear.  Reassembled engine and the problem
was still there.  There appeared to be no sludge or blockages in the
lifter gallery.  Convinced it was the lifters I then replaced them with
solid lifters and the problem went.  Never found the cause of it.  If you
run the engine with the rocker covers off you might also spot a problem if
your pushrods are not all spinning merrily.  The lifter is designed to
rotate in it's bore and any which do not will wear out the cam.

Ian
--
"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."  -  Oscar Wilde

Ian Crocker    ian@btcase.bt.co.uk    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9190/