Re: Hydraulic Lifter problems

To: <buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Lifter problems
From: "OP" <oliverp@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 14:11:44 -0700
Steve,

You would be best in isolating where the noise is coming from. I am
assuming you do not have a stethoscope. A great troubleshooting trick is a
long(12" plus) screwdriver. Place the metal tip in various locations around
the block, and while you have someone rev the motor to the point you can
hear the knock, place your ear on the screwdriver handle (this is why you
want the longest driver you can get) The plastic handle is instrumental
intransferring the sound to your ear,soa pipe or rod will not be nearly as
effective, you will be amazed what you hear from your engine. Start at the
valve cover and work your way across and down. you can even use this method
to determine which lifter or god forbid rod bearing is the noisy culprit.
This is goodfor other things such as waterpump bearings and almost anything
else. I had heard a knocking sound when I first got my TR4 started, and was
very worried, I was sure it was a rod bearing, as it turns out it was a
fender bracket that was loose. I hope your problem is as simple.

Good Luck,

Oliver P