Ignition advance

To: "Rover list" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition advance
From: "Steve House" <steve.house@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:22:14 -0700
Hi Rover & Buick lovers,
Can anyone out there please help me with a nagging problem I've got on a
3528cc Rover V8 fitted to a Capri?
I've had to disconnect the vacuum advance pipe from the Holley 390cfm to the
35DM8 dizzy as there's just too much advance on part throttle (40-60mph) and
the car jerks violently.  No problem accelerating though.
I've tried various idle advances and 6 BTDC seems best,( with the vacuum
line off), throughout the rev range on steady throttle but it feels a bit
sluggish accelerating.
I seem to be driving on a bit of a compromise at the moment.
Last bit, are the 35DE8 and 35DM8 vacuum advance units the same?
Thanks all.
steve.house@lineone.net