RE: Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?

To: "British-cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:56:11 -0800
> Am I missing something here?  Do I understand that the car passed the test
> and the referee won't approve you replacing the system because the headers
> that passed can't be shown to been approved ?

Not quite, but close.  IMO the car should not have passed the test, the test
is _supposed_ to include visual inspection for aftermarket equipment and a
suitable CARB exemption number for anything that might affect tailpipe
emissions.  However, with the advent of the dynamometer tailpipe test,
apparently no one is cracking down on the shops for not recognizing
non-original equipment, so they usually don't make an issue out of it.

> Can't you simply have the work done and re take the test?

No, because the CA repair shop may lose their license (and pay a hefty fine)
if they get caught working on an illegally modified car.  But if the work
were somehow done by an out-of-state shop or a car owner, then the car would
likely still pass smog check for the reasons above.

> Wait I think I see the big picture now,  we want clean air in California;
> the air is dirty because there are too many people here; lets
> make living in
> California so difficult that people will move away.

Sounds good to me !

Randall - Lakewood, CA