Re: Ebay Scam

To: csx2282@juno.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ebay Scam
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 23:08:10 EST
In a message dated 3/7/2003 10:51:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
csx2282@juno.com writes:

> received an e-mail saying that there was some problem with his credit
> card verification and could he visit the EBay site and re-submit his
> credit
> card information.  The message included a supposed link to EBay
> where he could re-enter his credit card number, etc.  Turns out this was
> a fake link to some credit card scammer's site.  He ended up with a
> bunch of fraudulent charges being charged against his account.
> Fortunately
> he was able to get these charges removed, but it was a big hassle, and a
> very stressful experience.
>
> Be on the lookout for this scam if you have bid on anything on EBay
> recently.

Seems to have become a very popular scam, along with similar versions
involving PayPal accounts.

Been there, done that. Fortunately in my case, PayPal was good about pursuing
the matter, which affected me and a couple other fellow eBayers, and all was
resolved.

My advice: Check the URL very carefully. Even if the web page you come to
looks just like a PayPal or eBay page, it probably isn't, unless it has the <A
HREF="https://";>
https://</A> in front, to indicate a secure site. Also, check the full mail
headers very carefully to make absolutely sure that the mail is in fact from
eBay or PayPal. Odds are such an e-mail isn't legit, since that's not the way
eBay and PayPal do business.

If in doubt, contact eBay or PayPal yourself, directly.

--Andy Mace

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
-- Oscar Levant