TR7 BFH#36 - Lug Centric?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: TR7 BFH#36 - Lug Centric?
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:15:03 EST
"What's a good looking lug nut like you doing on a TR7?..."

I've talked with some of you before about my lug nut crisis.  Someone did
have a solution which I wanted to see what the rest of you thought -- ie is
it logical and safe!

The issues are the following:

1.  I'm under the impression that the wheels on the TR7 are hub-centric, or
should be.

2.  I have original minilights, and the holes drilled through the wheels are
considerably larger in diameter than the wheel studs.  The holes are about
18mm, and the studs, maybe about 13 mm?

3.  The holes in the wheels are not recessed.

4.  The wheel studs only extend about 5/16" out from the wheels.

5.  I have old mag-type lug nuts with washers that are wide enough in
external diameter so that they fill the gap between the wheel studs and the
holes in the wheels where the studs pass through, and long enough to grab a
lot of thread.

6.  I can't find anyone who sells similar lugnuts -- all are too small in the
external diameter.

7.  The tire shop never can balance the wheels.

So, this is what has been proposed:  I should use lug-centric lug nuts that
have a beveled shoulder and a shank that extends at least 3/4 of an inch so
that the nut grips enough threads.

Of course the idea is to use the bevels to center the wheels on the studs,
but what about the fact that the TR7 is suppose to be hubcentric?  And could
this help the tire balancing problem?

Also, I don't know if I have ever seen beveled lug nuts with that long a
shank?  (Also I'm not sure if shank is the right word!...)

The concept seems sound.  Opinions really appreciated!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC