Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers
From: "Colin Cobb " <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:39:00 -0600
Hey Jay,

I'd say that Moss' single biggest competitor is the (notorious) Victoria
British (800-255-0088) which, like Moss, is a British Motor Heritage
Distributor. I have used them in the past and will use them again if I must.
I also use Sunbeam Specialties (a truly excellent supplier but with a very
limitied area of interest) and Classic Sunbeam. Of course, I have purchased
parts directly from the Morgan Factory in Malvern Link (20 years ago we
hadda do it by surface mail!) and several smaller Morgan suppliers. The Mog
factory folks are great people but there is NO customer service concept at
all...

I have also attempted to buy straight from the current manufacturer of SU
carbs (Burlen Fuel Systems, LTD) but got really bogged down in customer
service issues (returning a defective unit would be really, really tough)
and wound up buying 2 new SU HS6's from Moss for less money and with quicker
delivery than the factory in the UK could offer.

Remember that Moss has a number of local area distributors and you might do
better with a local guy.

I hesitate to list << all >> the Britcar suppliers I have had experience
with as the list does go on... If you'd like to e-mail me off list with your
specific problem(s) I will, in all seriousness, try to help.

I guess my questions to you are: What Britcar supplier do you feel is better
than Moss? And, of course, how did you attempt to resolve your difficulty
with Moss, whatever it is/was?

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'41 Chevrolet Coupe, '65 Sunbeam Tiger, '66 Morgan Plus Four, '89 Alfa Romeo
Spider