Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers

To: British Cars List <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shoddy parts, slippery suppliers, mute consumers
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:58:04 -0700
At 12:20 PM 6/29/00 -0600, Colin Cobb wrote:
>Hey Gang,
>
>First let me say that in my experience Moss is by far the best of the
>available major Britcar parts suppliers. In my experience when they have
>screwed something up they have taken the return with no problem and when
>I've screwed up my order they have taken the part back with a reasonable
>restock charge.
>
>I will also say that they have consistently dumb-ass order takers so you
>really need to know what you need and what you are ordering.

   You mean like a few months ago when I went into Moss to buy some BSF
nuts and bolts and the guy behind the counter told me that he didn't have
that size and I should go down the street to "Home Depot" because they will
have it.  I couldn't believe that he told me that and replied that these
were BSF bolts from a '34 British Sports car and he said, "Just make sure
you get Metric instead of American threads, they have both at Home
Depot".  Then 3 days later again at Moss but with a different sales droid,
I was buying a starter (not a cheap item) and he had the thing on the
counter and my credit card in his hand, he asks me what model car this is
going on.  I told him a '53 Singer and he hands me my credit card and says
this starter is for a MG TD, I am sorry but we don't sell Singer parts here
and I can't sell you this starter because it wont fit.  I started to argue
but he says, its an MG starter it wont fit a Singer and I don't want to
deal with the return when you find out. I quoted him the Lucas part number
and explained that the same starter was used in a variety of cars, I
finally had to get someone else down to make him sell it to me.  I asked
for a manager but I just got another sales droid that had an idea that
Lucas starters might have been used on other cars.

    Moss used to have people that knew Brit cars, I have been going to Moss
since the mid-70's and it was a delight to go there in those days and
mix-match parts for my Singers.  Now I realize those were special days and
labor intensive but I sure spent huge amounts of money at Moss in
return.  Even though Moss is walking distance from my work place, I avoid
them and buy elsewhere now, its amazing how many places you can quote the
Moss number to and get the right part.

    On the good side for Moss, the first part of Colin's comments are right
on, I have NEVER had any trouble returning things to Moss and getting
refunds/exchanges.  But that is very rare for me to return something since
by the time they have pried the money from my cheap hands, I really know it
is what I want/need.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/